Tuesday, September 4, 2012

'Smores Cookies



I was asked to bring a simple, easy eatin' dessert to our Labor Day BBQ.  What did I think to bring?  Cookies, of course!  I considered bakin' up some good old fashioned chocolate chip cookies, but then I started thinking that I wanted these cookies to be REALLY summers.  After-all, Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer.  I had seen 'smores bars, so I was pretty sure I could track down a 'smores cookie recipe.  I scoured the internet and read numerous recipes.  Finally, I decided on this one.  Oh man did they turn out delish!  They were chewy and chocolaty and gone before I knew it.  They were a huge hit at the BBQ, so much that I took home and empty Tubberware container.



Ingredients:
3/4 c butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
10 graham cracker squares, crushed into crumbs with a few larger pieces
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
2 hershey bars, broken up.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla and beat with a hand mixer or electric stand mixer until combined, scraping sides of the bowl.

In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, and graham cracker crumbs.  Gradually add to the butter mixture and beat until the dough forms a ball.

Stir in chocolate chips

Drop by the teaspoon onto a greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 7 minutes and remove from oven.  Press a few marshmellows and a small piece of chocolate into each cookie.  Return baking sheet to oven and bake for an additional 4 minutes.

Remove from oven.  Cool 5 minutes on the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment