Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pulled Beef Sandwiches with Blue Slaw



Remember that roast I made for the Beef Noodle dish?  Remember how I only used half of the roast?  Well - this is how I used the other half!  And easy peasy pulled beef with a blue cheese cole slaw.  

Pulled beef, or pork if you prefer, is kind of like the adult version of a sloppy joe.  Messy, delicious, and leaves your fingers sticky.  If was actually my mother-in-law that turned me on to eating slaw ON my pulled beef sandwich.  She serves a delicious pulled beef with traditional slaw at her house sometimes.  I always gobble down that meal.

There is this trendy, cool thing here in LA called the food trucks.  You may have heard about it on the food network, or you may have been to one of these set ups.  It is basically a bunch of gourmet catering trucks that gather at one location and allow the public to buy a meal.  Kind of like a food court on wheels, except waaaayyy better.  There is a food truck stop location near us each Friday, and we enjoy going down there.  It's a great way to eat out with a baby and try some new foods.   Recently I had a pulled pork sandwich with blue cheese cole slaw at a food truck.  It was Ah-mazing. 

Between my mother-in-law's pulled beef and the sandwich I had at the food trucks, I was inspired to create this meal.



half of a cooked roast beef (or roast pork if you prefer), shredded  --  see what I did with the other half of my roast here
2 cups barbeque sauce of your choice (I like Sweet Baby Rays)
1/2 cup water
1 16oz bag of cole slaw mix
1 cup light mayo
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1 TBSP honey
1 cup blue cheese crumbles
hamburger buns
spray butter (optional)

Place your shredded beef into a medium sauce pan, add the barbeque sauce and water.  Heat over medium heat until heated through.

In a large bowl whisk together the mayo, vinegar and honey.  Stir in blue cheese and cole slaw mix.

OPTIONAL - Heat a skillet over high heat.  Spray the inside of your bun with spray butter and place inside down on your skillet for about 30 seconds to toast the bun.

Assemble the sandwich by placing some pulled beef on the bottom at the blue slaw on the top.  Be sure to wear a bib while eating this meal. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment