Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Raspberry Pretzel Squares



Several years ago I got this recipe from a friend.  I had had this dish at a baby shower and loved it.  I jotted it down on a piece of paper and stuffed it in my recipe box.  That fall I pulled out the recipe an planned to make it at Thanksgiving dinner.  During my haste in jotting down the recipe I was a little unclear about a few of the instructions, so I winged it.  It turned out DELICIOUS!!!  Later on I'll tell you which mess up because a HUGE success.  I'll never make it the original way again, because my screw up was so darn yummy!


Since that mess up several years ago this has become a Thanksgiving side dish tradition. It sounds strange, but trust me - this dish is so so yummy!  I ALWAYS get compliments on it and it is always the first thing to go!  People always comment that they could eat just the crust and do without the jello and cool whip - that's how good my mistake is!




2 2/3 Cups Chopped Pretzels
1 1/2 Cubes Butter
12 oz Cream Cheese
1 1/4 Cups Sugar
1 large package of frozen raspberries
3/4 Carton Cool Whip
1 large package of strawberry Jello
2 Cups Pineapple Juice

1. Cream Cream Cheese and Sugar, set aside.
2. Mix pretzels and butter, press into a 9x13 pan and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
3. Fold the cream cheese mixture and baked pretzels together.  Spread into an even layer in the bottom of the 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  (This was a mess up!  The original recipe instructions said to fold the cool whip and cream cheese mixture together and spread over the pretzel crust.  Trust me - the combo of the cream cheese and pretzels is AMAZING and so much tastier than the original recipe.  Because the pretzels are baked they don't get soggy.)
4. Spread cool whip over the top and chill.
5. Dissolve jello in hot pineapple juice, add the frozen berries and let it set up slightly. Pour over the top of the cool whip and refrigerate.
6.  When jello is completely set you are ready to serve.  I usually make mine the night before.



No comments:

Post a Comment